[Beowulf] What did I neglect to add? Specing hardware and software and support for a 16 node beowulf

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Feb 16 02:03:39 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:36 -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> I've spent the afternoon brainstorming about things to ask vendors as we
> evaluating their responses to our RFP and refine what we spec.
>
> Did I leave out anything that might come back and bite me later?
>
> http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/beowulf-evaluation/

I would add a question on factory burn-in tests.

Re. the compilers, you should have the input here.
You can get evaluation versions of compilers to try out, and specify the
one you want, the one which works best with your code.
We ship with eval versions of different compilers, and will talk with
you about the best choice. Sorry if I'm labouring the point, but it
seems a little that you are asking what the vendor supplies. In regard
to software, you can have influence over the choices.