[Beowulf] Redhat web server cluster with 4 web server's & 2 Database server

Ben Vanhaeren bvanhaer at sckcen.be
Mon Feb 13 23:58:17 PST 2006

kishore chowdary wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I am new to this place.infact this is my first post.we r planning to
> deploy a web server cluster using redhat cluster suite.
>
> we r planning to go for 4 web server's & two database server's(Mysql
> in master slave mode) for redundancy
>
> Hardware available
>
> webserver's 4 No's:               Dell PowerEdge 1850 Xeon 3.0
> *2Ghz,800 FSB
>                                                  146*2 SCSI Ultra320
> (10,000 rpm) 2 GB Ram
>
> DB Server's 2 No's:               Dell PowerEdge 1850 Xeon 3.0
> *2Ghz,800 FSB
>                                                 146*2 SCSI Ultra320
> (10,000 rpm) 4 GB Ram
>
> one DB server will be set up in master mode & the other in slave mode
> for redundancy & backup ncase the main DB server goes down
>
> Expected web traffic:            700-1000 hits per second max
>
> Most of the content served will be static content all these server r
> in a good datacenter & r interconected through gigabit ethernet.
>
> We have licensed version of Redhat AS 4.2 for all the server's &
> planning to buy Redhat Cluster Suite from redhat.
>
> so i need some guidance from u guys on how to setup this cluster,which
> file system to use.if u have step by step installation notes of
> starting from redhat OS installation to setting up cluster with mysql
> redundancy.
>
> Do i need any hardware apart from this to set up a cluster.
>
> Please let me know if u have any details reg this.
>
> Thanx & Regards
> Santhi Kishore

What you are going to build is not a beowulf/hpc cluster but a
loadbalancing/high avalilibility  cluster. Checkout www.linux-ha.org for
the database part. To load balance the webserver you can use DNS Round
robin load balancing or setup one of your webservers as a proxy to
forward the requests to the other web servers (mod_rewrite in apache).

--
Ben Vanhaeren
System Administrator