[Beowulf] Re: Matrix Multiply

Tom Elken elken at pathscale.com
Wed Feb 8 12:51:08 PST 2006

> From: tjue1 at sussex.ac.uk
> Subject: [Beowulf] Matrix Multiply
> To: beowulf at beowulf.org
>
> Hi Guys
>
> This is a quick question regarding the xhpl benchmark.

I assume you mean the HPL benchmark.  xhpl is its executable name.

> Im no
> mathematician but im trying to understand how the benchmark operates.
>
> I would like to test my system by seeing how many FLOPS are achieved
> using only the Matrix Multiply.

You could probably download the HPC Challenge benchmark (from
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/hpcc/software/index.html )  and cut-paste some code from
it's DGEMM (Double-precision, GEneral Matrix-Multiply) sub-benchmark as a
relatively easy way to get a test program for matrix-multiply.

DGEMM is typically ~90% or more of the HPL benchmark's profile.

-Tom