[Beowulf] NIS to LDAP gateway

Andrew D. Fant fant at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 15:35:43 PST 2006

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>authentication on the cluster.  I really don't want to have to set up a
>>full-fledged LDAP environment on the head node, or change my address space and
>>start routing packets between the cluster and the outside world.  I've heard
>

> an ldap slave on the head node makes a fair bit of sense.
> it can still be automatically synced to the "enterprise" ldap,
> and compute nodes can refer to it alone.  excepting /etc/passwd
> (either on nfs root or somehow rsynced), I'd consider this
> kind of ldap setup to be the norm these days.

Aye, passwd/group/shadow is the rub indeed.  I don't know much about LDAP aside
from the fact that it seems to complicate my life greatly.  Is it possible to
do a slave replication between different ldap servers?  Our enterprise server
isn't openldap, and I don't think that it will run on Linux at all.

Andy

--
Andrew Fant    | And when the night is cloudy    | This space to let
Molecular Geek | There is still a light          |----------------------