[Beowulf] Beowulf, Gentoo and Navier Stokes solvers

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Feb 6 13:42:41 PST 2006

Hi Alan:

Alan Jones wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'll start by introducing myself being my first post on the list. As the
> header suggests my name is Alan - I'm head of R&D at a production
> (visual effects) house in London.
>
> I'm currently looking into developing a cluster to perform fluid
> simulation and google, while providing plenty of information, hasn't
> shown what I'm after.

Great, you found the right group...

> The first part I'm looking for is how I'd go about using gentoo as my
> base platform for putting together a cluster.

Hmmm... without intending to start a distribution war here, is there a
particular business reason why you want to use gentoo (in-house
expertise, ...)?  If you are not rebuilding the nodes from scratch, you
may have an easier time with one of the other distributions (RH, SuSE,
...).  Source based distributions may not be generally the best for a
cluster environment, though I am sure that someone is using this and
will happily contradict me.

You might be able to adapt Warewulf to Gentoo, though that could be an
exciting (e.g. not in a good way) project.  You might be able to get FAI
or LUI or any number of other installers going.  That is only part of
the battle though.

> The other question is whether there's any existing open source projects
> for navier stokes on beowulf out there as I'd rather spend my
> development efforts contributing to an existing project.

Search on Freshmeat.net.  There might be some CFD engines out there.