[Beowulf] Opteron downrates DDR400 to DDR333 performance?

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Mon Feb 6 12:30:27 PST 2006

Nate is correct -- but this downclocking of memory also depends on your
BIOS, which actually determines how to clock RAM.

For example, Opterons Rev. E or later can drive at most 6 ranks of
memory at full DDR400 speed, says AMD's BIOS and kernel developer
manual.  This would imply that 4 dual-rank DIMMs would have to be
downclocked to DDR333.  This is what typical BIOS would do as the default.

However, the actual speed limit depends on electrical loading.  Provided
that the CPU, motherboard, and RAM cooperate sufficiently well, it isn't
necessary to downclock memory.  For example, HP's BIOS in xw9300 doesn't.

This issue causes much confusion and I wished that manufacturers could
explain it better.  Unfortunately, since the actual limit depends on the
CPU revision, physical motherboard properties, and RAM characteristics;
most BIOSes follow AMD's conservative recommendation and downclock 8
ranks of memory even when they could operate reliably at full speed.

Sincerely,
Josip