[Beowulf] RE: ssh without password for non root user in RedHat Enterprise Linux 3

Steve Cousins cousins at limpet.umeoce.maine.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:13:21 PST 2006

> Hi,
> I followed all the instructions for ssh without password but could not
> succeed for non root user accounts in RHEL3. Following the same steps I
> could do for root.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated,
>  hima.

Hi Hima,

Just checking to see if you fixed your ssh problems.  I just checked in to
the beowulf list after a couple of weeks off and saw your post.

I went through this same exercise a while back and it finally ended up
being a permission problem on my home directory (not just the .ssh
directory as others indicated).  I had set group write permissions on my
home directory to allow others in our group to work with my files (we're a
trusting bunch) but ssh didn't like that.  The  -v switch did give lots of
information but it was misleading in this case. I finally stumbled upon
the answer with Google (of course).

Good luck,

Steve
 Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins at umit.maine.edu
 Marine Sciences, 452 Aubert Hall       http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu
 Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302