[Beowulf] distributed file storage solution?

Robin Harker robin at workstationsuk.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 07:07:24 PST 2006

Hi Craig,

>Do you have it running?  If so, how many nodes (targets) do you
have connected?  If you have it running in redundant mode, have you
measured the performance difference between RAID0 and RAID5?

The most targets we have tested was 27 (yes a strange number), and over a
single GigE saw 2.7GB/sec using IOZONE. The internal disc is RAID5 using
SATA HW RAID controllers, no RAID0 although it would of course work.

Using TG-HA (RapidScale-HA perhaps ;-)  ) you see about 30% drop in write
performance, but reads are similar to the standard product.

The thing we have really noticed is the filesystem/meta-data performance
gains when using the XFS filesystem version. Remember it doesn't have a
metadata control node as with Lustre, soit scales as you add targets.

Best regards

Robin

It's now called Rapidscale.  I heard that when they were bought out by
Rackable, they had a name conflict in the US and had to change it.

Craig

Robin Harker
www.rackable.com
Tel: 01494 724498
Cell: 07802 517059
RapidScale - High Performance Storage - One Brick at a Time