[Beowulf] Node Drop-Off

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 4 14:16:48 PST 2006

At 10:59 AM 12/4/2006, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Jim Lux wrote:
>
>>Processors are a high dollar item for something quite compact,
>>they're sort of commodity (at least as far as the end user is
>>concerned), so they're ripe for all the fiddles that have been used
>>on such items for millenia.  Hey, didn't Archimedes get famous for
>>devising some sort of test along those lines?
>
>Eureka!  So he did!
>
>Are you suggesting that he take his processors into the bath with him so
>they can talk to his rubber duckies:-)

No.. you have that confused with the liquid cooling thread.

>or that he run naked through the
>streets in front of the main AMD office in protest?

I suppose so.. I hadn't thought about that aspect of Archimedes's
"work".  I was more thinking of the detection of fraudulent jewelry.

>The latter would probably work better than the former at least if >>I<<
>were doing the running.  Any toplevel AMD exec would do anything to
>crank up quality control rather than have to endure the sight of an old
>fat bald guy running around naked out front screaming about defective
>processors...;-)

They're in Silcon Valley in Northern California, aren't they.  While
it might not be as "counter culture" as downtown San Francisco a few
miles away, or as mellow as Marin county a few miles farther north or
Santa Cruz to the west,  you might not get as much attention as you
might think.  They might just think that you're just another one of
those eccentric cluster monkeys (the "naked ape" revisited).. At
least the weather is usually temperate enough that you wouldn't die
instantly of hypothermia or sun stroke.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075