[Beowulf] Java vs C++ for interfacing to parallel library

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 20 07:23:58 PDT 2006

At 06:08 AM 8/20/2006, Joe Landman wrote:

>Geoff Jacobs wrote:
>
> > *throws on his scalliwag hat*
> > And also many inappropriate languages, such as Intercal, APL, BrainF***,
> > or even Perl when you're on a caffeine buzz.
> > *removes hat*
>
>Hey ... I like that +/vector is a sum reduction over a variable named
>vector, and it can do it on the outermost index.

But you need that special APL keyboard with the greek letters...

>Don't knock APL, it was designed for calculation.  That it was also as
>arcane in its syntax as possible, as well as being insanely terse in its
>implementation.

And if you think the classic IBM implementation on the "first PC" (the
5100) was funky, you should see Iverson's book

That said, I spent an entire summer of my youth doing all sorts of
interesting things in APL.
Like any arcane and esoteric knowledge, if you use it regularly, it's
second nature.  If you only use it occasionally, it's hard to do stuff.

>  Still, any language that allows you to model a physical
>system in 4 lines of code and gives you meaningful answers cannot be all
>bad.
>
>I ... just ... dont ... want ... to  ... use ... it  ...... again.  Ever.

Come now.. think: a hybrid of APL and Matlab?

And doesn't APL elegantly represent inherently parallel constructs.  It
might be the most appropriate language for parallel computing (at least
Iverson might think this).

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075