[Beowulf] [OT] HPC and University IT - forum/mailing list?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 16 07:29:40 PDT 2006

At 06:46 AM 8/16/2006, Mark Hahn wrote:
>>>only mail client in use.  these approaches are often
>>>justified as "putting the uni on a sold, business-like footing".
>>
>>The situation you describe is not endemic to "big-A" but rather to an
>>administrative person failing to understand the environment they are
>>administering.  The "one mail client to rule them all" may be entirely
>>appropriate in certain business environments (eg. non-technology
>>companies). It is the wrong approach (again, in general) for a university
>>or heavy research environment.  Not understanding this difference is a
>>failure of the person, not the position.
>
>I guess I've had the misfortune to run into people with an MBA, who wield
>it like a hammer (to whom everything looks like a nail).

MBAs (and all advanced degrees (or knowledge) in general, regardless of
field) are like chainsaws.  A powerful tool in the right hands, disastrous
in the wrong.

There is a tendency in some MBA programs to inculcate a feeling that "all
management is abstract, and domain specific knowledge is immaterial,
because you can manage by the numbers".  I think this was more popular in
the 80s, because certainly now, it's changed a lot.

You can get good and bad managers (or researchers) anywhere.  Probably the
notable thing is that the amount of "pain" that a bad manager can cause is
greater.

Jim