[Beowulf] [OT] HPC and University IT - forum/mailing list?

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Tue Aug 15 16:13:04 PDT 2006

I'm not 100% sure about that Mark. I care about big-A administration. I
care about showing departments what resources are actually available. I
care about what is the most efficient use of limited University
resources. When I meet with researchers they often say that they had no
idea that there were 500+ processors dedicated to research here.

I know that other people have the same issues. Another is the funding
model issue. Which is best overhead, direct, or central budget? Or how
about knowing what resources we each provide our users. Does a given
organization focus on hardware support, software support or both?

Those are some of the Big-A issues. Here is one that is both Big-A and
small-A.

Running one of the new Sun x4100's with both dualcore processors at 100%
uses <270 watts (as determined by kill-a-watt. That is Big-A because it
means that we can be more efficient in our use of AC and power. It is
small-a for the same reasons. For example spinning up a v20 uses 250
watts for both processors at full power. I can't discuss some of my
application specific performance due to license constraints, but I can
say that I like the 4100 in general for Computational Physics and
Chemistry.

Another that is both is what submission systems we are using and Why?

Same questions, that affect both administration and Administration.

Mike davis