[Beowulf] 2u case for mounting existing external SDLT320 drives?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 3 14:50:35 PDT 2006

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> David Mathog wrote:
> > We currently have two SDLT320 external "shoebox" type SDLT320
> > drives.  It would be nice to move these into a rack, but so far
> > I've not been able to locate a 2U case that will hold them - that
> > doesn't already have a drive in it.

Just to expand on that slightly, both Quantum and Dell sell exactly
the case we want, but only if it has at least one drive in it.  Grr.

> A kingston subsidiary (storcase) makes said item.
>
> http://www.storcase.com/DataSilo/ds352.asp

Right you are.  Unfortunately that one costs over $1000.

The thing that's prompting this is that we're replacing the head
node/main file server and want to take this opportunity to move
everything into a rack.  Originally that was going to be 2U for the
server, and 2U for the tapes.  Maybe I should take another tack,
get a deep 3U or 4U case that has two 5.25" FH slots in front, and
put these two drives in with the server mobo and its disks.

Either that or it's Ebay to the rescue, where there are currently
a couple of empty PowerVault 114T cases for sale, at less than $100.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu