[Beowulf] delayed savings time crashes

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 12 10:42:31 PDT 2006

David,

The reboots were due to a City of Pasadena power glitch at 9:17 that
morning. :)  It was raining, and a 34kV city feeder line that runs between
the generating plant at the entrance of the 110 and a substation at Del Mar
& Los Robles faulted.  The responsible breaker took 13 cycles to break,
during which time the single-phase voltage seen at Caltech dropped to about
75V.

This info comes from the responsible EE at Caltech.  As for its effects,
believe me, I know about it the hard way, as it took down 2/3 of our
compute nodes, 1/3 of our disk shelves, and 3/4 of our fileservers.  Our
UPS has been on bypass these past 6+ months as we wait for our UPS vendor
to install a fix so that the UPS can handle the tendency of our computer
power supplies' internal Power Factor Correction feedback circuitry to lock
up & induce massive 12Hz oscillations on the room's power lines.

As for the time glitch, that is probably induced by the fact that Daylight
Savings Time changes only take place on the "system" clock, and in a
standard Red Hat system those changes only get synced to the hardware clock
upon a clean shutdown.  So if your machine crashes after a DST change, then
upon bootup syslogd gets its time from the hardware clock, which is wrong.
The system clock is only corrected later in the bootup sequence, when ntpd
starts.  The best solution is probably to set the hardware clock to UCT
rather than local time.  UCT doesn't undergo step changes like most
timezones in the U.S. do, so the compensation for DST happens dynamically
in software, rather than requiring a hardware clock change.

David