[Beowulf] multiport RS232 to ethernet (or USB)

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 5 16:58:44 PDT 2006

Looking for cheap device to give me 8 serial ports (doesn't have to be
particularly high speed: 9600bps is fine) from either ethernet or USB.
Digi  makes a variety of widgets that do this for USB, at about
$50/port.  (that is, a 8 port box is $400)
Cyclades has some high end multi port devices.
Comtrol has a 8 port serial device server at $750
There's a variety of PCI cards (e.g. RocketPort) that do this..

And, I suppose one could gang up a raft of $9 USB/Serial dongles on a USB
hub (somehow, I suspect that this is fraught with peril)

The device has to allow independent control of RTS and reading CTS (which
may not be used in the usual flow control scheme)

Thanks

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075