[Beowulf] Re: 1U Athlon64 X2 server in Europe/Germany?

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Mon Sep 26 18:33:26 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:06:11 +0200
>From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>Subject: [Beowulf] 1U Athlon64 X2 server in Europe/Germany?
>

>Any suggestions for sources of inexpensive Athlon64 X2 (I presume
>Opterons are considerably more expensive, maybe a single
>dual-core Opteron would do as well) 1U rackmount servers (GBit Ethernet,
>SATA), in Europe, preferrably Germany?
>
>Thanks,

Actually, with AMDs recent price updates, the dual core Opterons and
Athlon64 X2's are pretty well the same price, given same clocspeed and
cache size.

For example the AMD OSA175 PIB/FAN (2.2GHz, 1MB cache per core) is $654,
while the A64 4400 X2 is $645..

Plus, the new Opteron 1xx family are coming out in Socket 939
immediately, so frankly the only differentiation will be capability of
using registered ECC RAM.

--
With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.         FAX:       01-780-456-9772
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/