[Beowulf] Remote console management

Jerker Nyberg jerker at Update.UU.SE
Fri Sep 23 12:49:37 PDT 2005

This sounds like buggy Tyan hardware to me. Replace motherboard?

I did some testing with IPMI with a Tyan motherboard (IPMI card) and Intel
motherboard (integrated in motherboard) in spring 2004. In theory IPMI was
supported for the Tyan motherboard, but in practice things simply didn't
work good enough.  Our supplier said after their own testing that they
couldn't support what they have sold. But they said after they had been
talking with Tyan that they could support a special opteron-based
motherboard.  But then I had run out of time and went Intel. And things
simply (well almost, sometimes I had to try several times to connect with
SOL) worked.

Regards Jerker Nyberg, Uppsala, Sweden.