[Beowulf] Remote console management

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Sep 23 00:39:07 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 02:18 -0500, Bruce Allen wrote:
> > IPMI cards are a good idea. I work with them all the time.
> > We use IPMI for remote monitoring of systems, and for power cycling.
> > IPMI cards for Supermicro nodes are not expensive, and are IPM 2
> > compliant.
> >
> > IPMI does support Serial-over-LAN, but I don't have experience with it,
> > I'm not sure Linux does this.
>
> We're quite interested to know if/how this works.  Could it eliminate the
> serial port server boxes?
As I said in my next reply, I've never used it.
ipmitool does have the option for configuring serial-over-lan,
but I'm unaware of anyone using sol under Linux.

For the moment if you want a reliable system, use the real physical port
(or a Sun with a service processor).

If I were you, I would get a system on evaluation from your supplier.