[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 19, Issue 14

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Sep 21 12:55:30 PDT 2005

Eugene Leitl Wrote:

>Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:52:34 +0200
>From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>Subject: [Beowulf] Redmond ships MPICH2 as part of Windows Cluster
>	Edition
>To: Beowulf at beowulf.org
>

>http://www.eweek.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=160228,00.asp
>
>Open Source Code Finds Way into Microsoft Product
>September 15, 2005
>
>By Peter Galli
>LOS ANGELES.In a move that shows just how far Microsoft Corp. has come, and how pervasive open-source software is in certain areas, the software powerhouse is, for the first time, including open-source technology in one of its shipping products.
>Microsoft plans to include the Message Passing Interface.a library specification for message passing proposed as a standard by a broad-based committee of vendors, implementers and users.in its Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition, which went to public beta this week at the Microsoft Developers Conference here and is on track to ship in the first half of next year.

Sure.

And if this helps them gain acceptance in cluster environments, then
watch for a cluster release sometime later with their "new and improved"
MPI which, of course, is closed and which will be incompatible with any
Open source versions..

Of course, Microsoft has done exactly the same crap so many times before.
The industry term is "embrace and extend", I believe..

(mis)quote:
"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it"

I think the crowning moment will be when we see people posting on this
and other cluster lists asking support questions for it, rather than
asking M$ these questions.

--
With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius