[Beowulf] Choice of GigE switch: again

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Sep 16 13:13:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:

> I'm looking for relative cheap GigE 16-port switch for building
> of Beowulf cluster.
> 1) The choice I have (prices are here in Russia):
>
> NetGear GS116 ($280-$300)
> Linksys SR2016 ($315-$460) w/Lifetime warranty, "non-blocking"
> SMC GS16 ($320-$360)
> D-Link DGS-1016D ($260-$280)
>
> Many vendors don't say as usually about "system bus throughput",
> i.e. about possibility of simultaneous support of full GigE bandwidth
> on all the switch ports. D-Link say about 32 Gbps, Linksys - about
> "non-blocking".

The broadcom and marvell asics that most of these small switches are made
on can do full capacity across all ports these days.

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Small-Office/Gigabit-Ethernet-Switching-Products/BCM5346M

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Small-Office/Gigabit-Ethernet-Switching-Products/BCM5388

http://www.marvell.com/products/switching/index.jsp