[Beowulf] console hardware?

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Wed Oct 19 22:23:30 PDT 2005

Here is my nonvendor-reply:

1. serial console
most rackmounted servers will offer console access on the serial port
that you can then
connect with a serial cable to a cyclades terminal server (i.e. 32 port)
or similar
which in turn does allow buffering output so you can do a postmortem
analysis by
logging into that port and looking at the last pages of output.

2. serial over lan / IPMI
IPMI offers SOL which means that the serial console is made accessible
through the
network-adapter, and can be connected to from an outside machine. I have
never evaluated
cyclades offering but I am sure they have something similar to their
console servers that
allows to buffer output etc and connects via IPMI SOL.

There is also an opensource project called 'conserver' that might
allow you to do the same thing with a simple server since you no longer
need all those serial
ports or cables.

Michael Will

--