[Beowulf] VIA cluster server reference design

Unknown vze24qhw at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 15:04:08 PDT 2005

Here are some links that show my thermal solution for a cluster of mini
itx boards. It is really very simple.

This is the same mini itx cluster I have been using for the last 18
months or so. I simply bolted it to a rack panel.

This is not a NASA machine, I just stuck a meatball sticker on it.

The front view shows the on/off/reset switch, and the power, hard drive
indicator LED's.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze24qhw/cluster_front.jpg

The side view shows that the boards are vertical so that convection will
keep the boards cool.  The aluminum chassis also acts as a heatsink for
the boards. If you filled a rack like this, I think you would need some
fans in the top of the rack to pull a little more air through the rack,
but it would still be rather quiet. You could probably stack any
motherboard in this manner as long as you had sufficient airflow to
prevent overheating.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze24qhw/cluster_side.jpg

Glen