[Beowulf] cernlib

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 14 11:22:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Kostas Georgiou wrote:

>> Well, (with this) I now have source rpms for both 2002 and 2005.  Both
>> build perfectly through what looks like about the first third; both fail
>> initially at exactly the same point -- in the %install phase they
>> attempt to install paw (and, if you push past that, a couple of other
>> tools) with install -c -s.  Unfortunately, these are bash scripts.
>> Unfortunately, install barfs when asked to strip a bash script, e.g.:
>
> You can find another version (that builds fine under RHEL3 ;) at:
> http://www.hep.ph.ic.ac.uk/~georgiou/cernlib-2004-2.src.rpm
>
> I found the srpm a few months ago at an ATLAS related site if i remember
> correctly. It compiles, paw seems to run and my users haven't complained
> yet so i assume it's ok.
>
> Cheers,
> Kostas Georgiou

Thanks, I'm grabbing it even now.  If it rebuilds under RHEL 3 it will
PROBABLY rebuild under RHEL 4, although two changes I seem to always
have to patch are Copyright -> License in the specfile (Copyright has
been deprecated for no good reason I can think of aside from the fact
that it isn't really the license and has now gone away) and the install
-c -s bug -- I would have to step back to see if it is only this release
that seems to not like the -s flag used with files of the wrong
(technically) type.  Honestly, it seems a bit silly for install to barf
when asked to strip a text file -- it should just install the text file
without complaining.

However, these I can fix.  I'll bet that I still have to build it as
root, also, or be stubborn and patch it up so I don't.

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu