[Beowulf] Why I want a microsoft cluster...

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Nov 23 16:15:27 PST 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 08:30, Joe Landman wrote:

> Look carefully at what the CTC has to go through with their systems.  If
> you are running 1000 copies of Norton on your disks, with each one
> loaded up with a personal fire wall, anti spyware and virus ... do you
> really have a cluster?

This can be a problem for Linux clusters too, when you have IT security people
who don't understand Linux and impose policy as if it were Windows.

I've seen one site where the corporate security policy decreed that all PC's
ran a virus checker.  When they got their new Linux/AIX cluster (part IA32
part Power4) their security folks decreed that all the front end Linux nodes
must run a virus checker and that all the users filestore should be scanned
daily (from the Linux management node).

Only one problem - the users filestore was NFS mounted from an AIX storage
node. It was also huge.

Virus checking for Windows viruses on a Linux cluster (behind an extremely
tight firewall) ended up taking much longer than 24 hours, and they had an
awful positive feedback situation that virtually killed their management node
after a few days..