[Beowulf] SC|05: will 10Ge beat IB?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Wed Nov 23 12:07:58 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:04:46AM -0500, Douglas Eadline wrote:

> Maybe not ultra low, but I have recently played with GAMMA
> (http://www.disi.unige.it/project/gamma/) on some Intel
> "workstation" GigE NICS. (The current version of GAMMA will only work on
> Intel GigE chipsets)

Doug,

Scali and ParTec also have commercial products that are similar. In
the ParTec case, they interface at a slightly higher level than the
low-level driver, so it works with any ethernet device, not just a
few. Scali is probably similar in this respect.

This approach does give a better 0-byte ping-pong latency than normal
TCP over ethernet.

-- greg