[Beowulf] How to monitor beowulf

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 21 11:12:05 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Luis Gardea wrote:

> Hi
>

> I want to know how to monitor cluster beowulf, how I can see the
> process in the diferent CPU's
>
> My cluster have 1 node master and 4 node slave run redhat linux 9 and mpich2

There are many possibilities.  Here is one:

   http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/wulfware

The rpm's are prebuilt for FC4.  The source rpms or tarballs SHOULD
(re)build on RH9.  Put xmlsysd on each node and the master.  Put
wulfstat and/or wulflogger (which need libwulf to build) on nodes where
you want to do the monitoring.  wulfweb is an "example" of one way to
use wulflogger to build a very simple auto-refreshed website that
displays cluster node status.

Displays in wulfstat track nearly anything of immediate interest out of
/proc or that result from certain non-proc informational systems calls.
One display (the default) is vmstat-like; another tracks running PIDs on
the nodes, providing a formatted ps-like output.

See if it does what you want.  If not, there is also ganglia (web only
AFAI remember), bproc and scyld with tools that can do much the same
thing.  xmlsysd is very lightweight and pretty easy to use, though,
especially for a smaller cluster.

     rgb