[Beowulf] Re: cheap PCs this christmas

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 15 11:27:09 PST 2005

> Good point, but I'm not using memtest86, I'm using "memtester":
>
> 	http://pyropus.ca/software/memtester/

I was just informed by the memtest86+ people that that tool already
contains a bit fade test.  It doesn't run by default though.  To start
it change the configuration via the keyboard.  It then writes solid 1's
and checks it 90 mins later, then solid 0's, and again, checks 90 mins
later.

I've also modified the code for memtester so that it too supports
bit fade testing. Those changes have been submitted back to the
memtester site.  I'm running a 2 hour per mode test of that on our
cluster now, on a slice of 128M memory each, and will try to remember to
report tomorrow what the results are.  Probably all OK since this uses
ECC memory, which was the result for a 10 minute fade test.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu