[Beowulf] A Cluster of Motherboard.

DGS dgs at gs.washington.edu
Thu Nov 10 11:06:33 PST 2005

> >>It would like to know if is possible to make a cluster of
> >>motherboards? I don't speaking in a cluster of PC's, but of
> >>motherboards. Somebody already saw? If it is possible, Could someone
> >>help me?
> >

> >Yes, it is possible and it has been done a number of times.  Several of
> >them are documented, more or less, in the list archives -- GIYF here.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >Two minor pieces of advice:  Try to stay safe -- electrical devices
> >start fires, so watch the connections to e.g. wooden shelving.  Try to
> >stay within codes (include FCC codes for EM emissions) both to stay safe
> >and because if you pack things too close together without shielding you
> >could conceivably get some electrical oddities that destabilize things.
>
> A cheap bare case can cost less than $20 -- and can save you a lot of
> work, although perhaps not shelf space.  For safety, ease of
> installation, and FCC EM reasons, cheap metal cases should be considered.

Note that there are vendors who will sell you "blade" systems that are,
essentially, a cluster of motherboards: commodity boards and power supplies
bolted to aluminum sheets that slide vertically into an aluminum box with a
few big fans on top.  We've got a couple here, purchased from Verari.
They're fine systems.

David S.