[Beowulf] 3d rendering cluster

Paul K Egell-Johnsen paul.k.egell.johnsen at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:48:15 PDT 2005

Thank you very much Robert, you told me stuff I should really have
found out of on my own; and some things I do know.

I've contacted the different vendors we're considering for the
software. I'm pushing for linux solutions because I know we can
customise the os and software to make better use of the overall
resources available. Unfortunately a lot of the other tasks we're
going to do will require Windows solutions and then we're pretty much
left to rely on sometimes very expensive solutions, and sometimes very
unexpectedly cheap solutions, like FX Teleport for my sample library
playback (ie. symphonic orchestra on a computer farm solution) needing
nothing but a network connection and  a cheapish server software on
each computer.

I didn't specifiy the size either, it seems like 10 to 20 Dell boxes
would fit the bill, but if we can find some good integrators with
better prices  we'd probably end up with even a bigger farm, though an
important point would be the storage solution which for the video
post-production would require much more than for the rendering with
regards to the bandwidth to the storage solution.

Again, you pushed my buttons and I'm back to the thinking box and the
archives of this list.

Best regards,