[Beowulf] Experience of using multiple network devices on a node in cluster

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun May 15 20:51:24 PDT 2005

Hi Tajendra:

   Latency will be a major issue if you channel bond.  If you are not
doing that, you could (in theory) assign an MPI task per ethernet port.
  There will likely be other issues you will worry about then, but this
may be possible.

   Regardless, you will need a good switch to make any of this work, and
you will need to make sure your nodes have different host names attached
to the different nodes, and that mpi and the scheduler know about these
, ...

   Rather than that, you might want to separate out your traffic into
CnC (command and control), and messaging nets.  Have data transport
(NFS, scp/rcp/...) over one net, and messages over the other.  In the
gigE case this might not help all that much, apart from not swamping
connections that are already being pounded by IO requests.

Joe