[Beowulf] Jury rigged ethernet?

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Mon Jun 27 11:42:15 PDT 2005

... below ...

On Monday, June 27, 2005, at 10:22  AM, Reuti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> point to mention is the most likely unknown wave resistance of the
> existing wires. You have
>
> 150 Ohm for IBM Type 1 .... possible to use.
> 100 (sometimes 105?) Ohm for CAT3/5 twisted pair ... The best
> candidates ... if you have enough pairs between this cabling and above

These cables below are not recommended. Using coax will only make your
connections unreliable unless you can make or use a breakout box with
the proper connection converters (RG type coax conversion to RJ type
connectors = bad news)  ...

> 50 Ohm for coax 10Base2 (RG58)
> 93 Ohm for coax of the IBM 3278 Terminal connection (RG59)
>
> There are adapters (called baluns) around, to convert it at both ends
> of the wire.

DO NOT incorporate any impedance matching devices in your connections
if possible. (Do not use these "baluns" as they will only add
complications, increasing line losses and decrease reliability.)

> I would first try to get it working without any balun using 10BaseT
> connections. At this distance it might work already. If not, there are
> long distance adapters from e.g. Allied Telesyn around which will
> convert 10BaseT to a CAT 1/2/3 connection with RJ11 connectors.
>
> If you must use coax because it's on the machines, you can try a balun
> first, or convert 10Base2 to 10BaseT by using an used hub with these
> type of connecters (or another type of converter from the above
> mentioned company).

You will find that the impedance matching capabilities of most modern
ethernet adapters' chip sets will overcome any irregularities in the
actual cabling over short lengths. As a point of reference, two wire
coat hangers in parallel have approximately 150 Ohms impedance ... so
using the available (unshielded) twisted pairs of the cables available
will produce the more reliable results when attached to modern ethernet
adapters. (Using the center conductors of the coax would probably work,
but then you would also have to deal with termination of the coax
shields.)

FYI: You may be better off disregarding the cables available and simply
using one of the "plug in the wall" power line network adapters
instead. This would be done by using one of the three phases (" A
single existing cable provides 3 phase power, ...")

Ed
FireWireStuff.com