[Beowulf] An AC/UPS Question.

Alvin Starr alvin at iplink.net
Mon Jun 20 10:32:35 PDT 2005

This is not a beowulf question so please forgive me but since it seems
that there is a lot of experience on this list with facilities issues I
posing my questions here.

We are soon going to be installing a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell based UPS system
because we could not get a generator into the building.

Since we don't have a generator we will have to run the AC off of the
UPS.  Does anybody have any experience with running AC systems from UPS's

- Our current load is 8KW and our computer room is about 1/2 full.
- The UPS will start as a 20KW system but can be expanded to 40KW.
- We have access to building cooled water that runs all year around but
it is not backed up so we would have to use city water in the event of a
power failure.
- We do have a raised floor(8") that is currently just used for cabling.

Are there any UPS friendly AC systems?
would it be better to get a number of smaller systems so that the start
stop cycles could be better managed?

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974