[Beowulf] MPI community

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Sat Jun 18 06:33:59 PDT 2005

In message from "Cheng, Kevin " <kc40 at hw.ac.uk> (Sat, 18 Jun 2005
01:58:32 +0100):
>Hi there
>
>Am new to the mailing list and wondering what we can talk about? I
>have been trying to find MPI-CH or MPI help/forums/community but
>couldn't find any.
>
>1. Is it possible to set up MPICH-1 or MPICH-2 on a single machine
>and trick it to emulate 2 hosts? Basically developing on a single
>machine but doing MPI_Send, MPI_Gather calls.
Yes, but you should take into account that (if you have 1 CPU
system)the processes really will not run simultaneously, and you'll
not see
some possible "time-depended" errors in coding.

HyperThreading or especially dual-core chips gives you additional
possibilities.

>2. Is it possible to have two hosts, one Windows MPI-CH, and one
>Linux MPI-CH, to work together?
If you'll use Virtual Machine software, plus Windows and Linux
installed, it'll be possible (IMHO).

Yours
Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry