[Beowulf] [rjdyer at vcu.edu: Re: Intel?]

Toon Moene toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Wed Jun 8 12:48:24 PDT 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:

> GCC now seems to have reasonably nice support for vector operations,
> on top of the intrinsics, and even some auto-vectorization.  any
> preliminary reports of experience with gcc 4?

We, i.e. GCC (not me personally) tried very hard to get
target-independent vector support into GCC (so hard that the first
implementation by Red Hat got (mostly) rejected).

This effort now pays of, because it's much easier to implement
autovectorization when your model of vectors is target-independent.

That said, GCC 4.0.x will only have limited autovectorization support
(if there's interest, I could summarize the limitations).

Cheers,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon at moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290
A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/