[Beowulf] number of admins

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jun 8 09:02:29 PDT 2005

My $.02

The number of sysadmins required is a function of how much
infrastructure you have in place to reduce operational burden:

  - remote power control over all nodes

  - remote access to BIOS on all nodes via serial console

  - remote access to system console  via serial port on all nodes

  - unattended/automatic OS installation onto bare metal (autoYast,
kickstart, systemimger etc.)

  - unattended/automatic OS incremental updates to running nodes

  - documented plan for handling node hardware failures which
includes specific info on when and how an admin is expected to spend
time diagnosing a problem versus when the admin can just hand the
node off to a vendor or someone else for simple planned replacement
or advanced troubleshooting.  For Dell systems you want to have an
agreement in place where your sysadmin can make a judgement call that
a node needs replacement WITHOUT having to first wade through the
hell that is Dell's first tier of customer support.

If you have the infrastructure in place where your admin(s) can do
everything remotely including OS installs, console access and remote
power control then you may be able to get away with a single admin
(as long as his/her job is tightly scoped to keeping the cluster
functional). If you have not pre-planned your architecture to make
administration as easy and as "hands off" as possible then you are
going to need many hands.

The biggest reason for cluster deployment unhappiness can be traced
to this:

  - management and users expect the cluster operators to also also be
experts with HPC programming, the applications in use, application
integration issues and the cluster scheduler. This almost never works
out well as the skills and background needed to keep a cluster
running are often quite different from the expertise needed to
understand the local research efforts and internal application mix.

This is not a good thing to be doing. The cluster sysadmins should be
focused on the OS, hardware, interconnects and infrastructure.

You probably need some additional staff resources to specifically cover:

  o Someone who understands the research/work and can talk to end
users intelligently about how to use/integrate/run/troubleshoot the
the cluster application mix. This person needs to understand the
science, research and applications involved and probably also needs
to be a bit of a shell/perl toolsmith who can assist with workflows
and application integration. This person could actually be recruited
from the ranks of the users if there is a particular expert "power
user" who would be interested in the role.

o Someone who understands high performance scientific software
development who can help the cluster admins deal with and
troubleshoot the Myrinet interconnect while also being able to help
the end users with HPC compiler issues, software dev issues and
application optimization issues

So the big message in my mind is:

  o cluster operators should not expected to be application experts
  o cluster operators should not expected to be HPC coding &
scientific software development expers
  o Significant effort needs to be put into training users how to use
the cluster and the interconnect

Short term you may also need a LSF expert on hand to help get the
cluster resource policies sorted but that is short term only as the
cluster admins can pick up the LSF specifics very quickly and easily.

-Chris
bioteam.net