[Beowulf] help a newbie

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Jul 22 04:38:32 PDT 2005

Hello,

Might I suggest that if you're building something from scratch with no legacy
stuff to port, that you please use something less old/dead/antique/EOL'ed/...

Clustermatic5 was released in November 2004 if I remember correctly and as for
rh8... It's so old that not even Fedora legacy supports it anymore.

Maybe you should try Clustermatic5 on Centos-4.1 (or Centos-3.5). That will
give you something with working update streams and clustermatic on a
redhat-ish dist.

regards,
 Peter

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 10.48, 13200178 Hendra Tampang Allo wrote:
> I am also a newbie like you but i think it's not hard to build a cluster.
> Just search it on google and you will find many ways of making beowulf
> cluster. But what kind of job will you process on your cluster? I am also
> building a cluster to run namd (a molecular dynamics) and i was suggested
> to use redhat 8 + clustermatic 3.
>
> Soli Deo Gloria & Sola Christa Eterna
> Hendra/EL-00
>
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, rupinder bhangu wrote:
> > hi
> > I am Rupinder.I am a final year student.I have planned to work on the
> > topic of Beowulf clusters during my six months training.I have also gone
> > through some of the sites & the other stuff on the Internet to gather the
> > basic info regarding beowulfs, because I had to convince my teachers for
> > allowing me to work on this topic.Having done that job successfully, I
> > would now like to have the help from the people who are experienced in
> > this field. I am really a newbie in this field, but I want to do it.
> > Could you please tell me where to start, how to work & the related help
> > that you think would be useful for me?Could you also tell that whether a
> > period of 6 months is adequate for a person like me to build a cluster
> > with 3-4 nodes successfully?
> > Thanks
> > Rupinder Kaur

  Peter Kjellström               |