[Beowulf] New HPCC results, and an MX question

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 20 16:31:34 PDT 2005

At 02:28 PM 7/20/2005 -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> Unless you want a very selected group to use your software, you'll have
>> to take care that multithreaded software also works fast for clusters.
>
>Vincent,
>
>Funny, in all my years of activity in the high performance computing
>niche, it's fairly rare that people run multi-threaded programs

It's the other way around.

MPI is so primitive that it doesn't allow multithreaded programs very well
and forces people to use a single process for calculations.

This is a severe handicap, as the average student is guessing that
multithreading is superior to multiprocessing.

You put it the other way around now.

You look in a tiny bottle and say: "it's all multiprocessing water".

Better is to look in the real world and see that there is much more water
in the ocean which could be all in your bottle.

Vincent