[Beowulf] SuSE 9.3

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Tue Jul 12 16:13:37 PDT 2005

From: John Brookes on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:07 AM
> > Stability and update stream are just great, but I personally think
> RHEL may be carrying the stability thing to a fault.
>
> It's not entirely fair to criticise RH for the relative sloth of the
> release of new RHEL versions. It _is_ 'Enterprise Linux', after all,
and
> I'd guess the air would be thick with lawsuits if J Random MegaCorp
were
> left exposed due to insufficient testing on RH's part (or Oracle's, or
> Fluent's etc on the certification front). In this realm, though, I
agree
> that it can be an issue.

Don't be so quick to blame the lawyers, well, not on this one.

Corporate users and ISVs don't want to see the OS revised more than once
a year.  On the user side, it takes a lot of effort to install, certify,
and then deploy a new OS.  On the ISV side, there is little to no
revenue associated with certifying an already released app on a new OS
-- it's purely a cost factor unless the ISV is releasing new code.

This is much more a case of having better things to do with the staff,
time, and costs.

If it ain't broke, ...
And if it is broke, that's what the user is paying for, isn't it?

--
dnl

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation.