[Beowulf] 64 bit Xeons?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Jan 19 19:54:14 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:47 am, Craig Tierney wrote:

> It uses the 64-bit extensions that AMD uses for the Opteron.

I believe that Intel tinkered with a couple of the instructions of the
original AMD instruction set, so whilst it's almost identical it's not quite.

The major one that I'm aware of is that although it reports it supports an
address size of 40 bits it can only handle 36 bits of physical memory.

There's more information on differences here:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.3/0276.html

also here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/release-notes/as-amd64/RELEASE-NOTES-U2-x86_64-en.html#id3938207

and here: