another radical concept...Re: [Beowulf] Cooling vs HW replacement

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Tue Jan 18 13:33:56 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:52:50PM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:

> There's also the prospect, not much explored in clusters, but certainly used
> in modern laptops, etc. of dynamically changing computation rate according
> to the environment.

This is already done; the Pentium 4 dynamically freezes for 1
microsecond at a time when it is too hot. I've also got some AMD
Athlon boxes that run 10% slower after I've been running them hard.

This is apparently controlled by the BIOS, though, so I don't think
it's that configurable enough to be very useful. You could rig
something up with a temperature sensor (perhaps lm_sensors) and
cpufreq.

-- greg