[Beowulf] Re: [Bioclusters] FW: cluster newbie (fwd from dag at sonsorol.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 5 12:12:27 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> -----

From: Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:43:55 -0500
To: "Clustering,  compute farming & distributed computing in life science informatics" <bioclusters at bioinformatics.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioclusters] FW: cluster newbie

Hi Nick,

I've written about this in the past; you can find stuff in the list
archives.

Some of the articles and presentations I've done on "bioclusters"  are
linked off this URL: http://bioteam.net/dag/ - something there may be of
use.

In general I'd go with BioBrew or the ROCKS cluster kit ("roll") that
comes with Grid Engine as the scheduler if you are starting out.

If you want to roll your own cluster to have maximum flexibility and
really learn the behind the scenes stuff just pick the "best" (or your
favorite) componants to match the following requirements:

1. A Linux distribution

2. A Resource manager & scheduler software (Grid Engine, etc.)

3. Software for doing unattended "bare metal" installs and incremental
updates (SystemImager, etc.)

4. Management & monitoring packages (ganglia, nagios, bigbrother, etc.)

Take what you chose for #1-4 and put all the compute nodes on a private
gigabit ethernet switch. There should be a common NFS share for user
home directories and maybe for the scheduler system. Pick one node to be
the "master" node and connect one of its NICs to the "private" cluster
network and the 2nd NIC to the company/department network. This way you
and your users only have to login to and deal with the one single
"master" node.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Bioclusters maillist  -  Bioclusters at bioinformatics.org