[Beowulf] Re: [Bioclusters] Re: Login & home directory strategies for PVM? (fwd from mgutteri at fhcrc.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 25 12:42:41 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Michael Gutteridge <mgutteri at fhcrc.org> -----

From: Michael Gutteridge <mgutteri at fhcrc.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:51:56 -0800
To: "Clustering,  compute farming & distributed computing in life science informatics" <bioclusters at bioinformatics.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioclusters] Re: Login & home directory strategies for PVM?

Thanks... been thinking about local homes vs. pvfs since I don't really
need anything but .bashrc.  However, managing local home directores on
62+ nodes gets boring after a while...  I rather prefer the idea of
running pvm as you indicate, but I haven't had any luck finding out how
to do this- do you have a pointer to something that describes that?  I
can't even pull together a good google term to find out how that's
typically done.

I will very likely end up using pvfs for database directories if I can
make it robust enough, though.  Sounds like pvfs2 has some great
improvements in that area.

>Lastly, you can port to mpich on a bproc system like Scyld, and get
>rid of
>pvmd's altogether.

From my conversations with the developers, sounds like a port to MPI is
underway.