shall we write our own? Re: [Beowulf] O'Reilly Clusters Book Review

Ryan Sweet rsweet at aoes.com
Fri Feb 25 09:33:58 PST 2005

Glenn,

I have also had a look at the new ORA cluster book, hoping that they had
learned their lesson, and had a similar reaction.  While I don't wish to
discredit M. Sloan, as writing any sort of book is always going to be a lot of
work and filled with compromise, I felt from the very beginning that the
community can do better.  After reading over your review, which, while
scathing, was entirely accurate, I feel resolved that the beowulf community
_should_ do better.

Here's what I propose: let's make a "Beowulf.org Guide to Linux Clustering",
or whatever the heck else you want to call it.   Let us outline, review,
improve, and comment on it here on this mailing list.  Here's the hard part -
lets also set a deadline, with realistic goals, and try to stick to it.  Lets
assign any publishing rights or other "details" like that to the FSF or Linux
Documentation Project.

Robert Brown has already done a lot of work on such a book, and generously
made it freely available.  Maybe he is amenable to this being a starting
point?

In any case, I would gladly provide hosting for something like this, and
coordinate the project, as well as edit or write content.

There are many questions that arise:
 	Most importantly - What should go in the book?
 	In what order should these topics be covered?
 	Should there be an attempt to have a common style?
 	How (and how often) should it be revised?
 	Does the book target new beowulf admins, seasoned experts, or both and
some in-between?
 	Should mentioning vendors be allowed? What are the guidelines?

and so on.

Firstly, now that I've proposed the idea, I'll also start by volunteering to
write a chapter on diskless clustering.

Second, please take this opportunity to tell me why this is a bad idea, and
while your at it send your comments on the questions above.

regards,
-Ryan

--
Ryan Sweet             <ryan.sweet at aoes.com>
Advanced Operations and Engineering Services