[Beowulf] about concept of beowulf clusters

Patrice Seyed apseyed at bu.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:44:30 PST 2005

A beowulf cluster is in itself a loose definition, but it basically is
linux machines that perform some kind of HPC (high performance
computing) tasks. It could be commoity or not. Also there is no set of
software that makes it a beowulf, but there are software that make them
useful, like mpi and lam libraries for parallel computing, or pbs/maui
and sge for scheduler/resource manager for batch/interactive/parallel
computing in the cluster.  Rocks and Oscar are simply tookits that make
installing and managing the systems easier, like for installing nodes,
software management, and parallel commands. Whether you're using low
latency propriety switches or gigE, as long as the tasks are related to
hpc I think it falls in the "beowulf" definition.
-Patrice