[Beowulf] RAID storage: Vendor vs. parts

Shane Canon canon at nersc.gov
Tue Feb 22 12:54:41 PST 2005

Steve,

We currently have an Infotrend based box (older FC/IDE) and I'm
currently testing a JetStor (AC&NC) box (FC/SATA).

The Infotrend box has been in production for over a year now.  It has
been reasonably stable. However, in my opinion, the management interface
stinks.  They clearly were thinking more about the Winders crowd than
the Linux crowd.

The JetStor box is pretty nice so far.  You can have redundant
controllers, PS, etc.  The management interface is very nice and very
flexible.  For example, you can take one pool of disks and create
multiple LUNs on the same pool with different RAID levels.  This means
you can create several LUNs under the 2TB limit and not waste disks on
extra parity drives for example.

I don't have any strong opinion on the support question though.

- --Shane