[Beowulf] A hello, and an introduction

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Mon Feb 21 06:22:39 PST 2005

Hey Jeremy,

Its good to see another student admin at a university on here.  Welcome
to the list.  There are a lot of top-notch people on here that you can
learn a lot from.  I've been admining at my univ. for about 3 years now
and plan on doing so even after I graduate.

With a C.S. background, you'll probably find lots of interesting things
involved with Cryptography or Image/Video processing.  I'm working on a
video compression format right now and will likely write up a parallel
encoder for AVI's into my format.

Maybe my boss will post and give you some ideas on what to research as
he's working on his PhD and probably has a better idea than I do on what
you can accomplish on a cluster as a C.S. major.  And I'm sure RGB could
come up with some mind-blowers if you are really up to the task.

Good luck and welcome to the list.

Brian Smith

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 10:44 -0600, streich at uwm.edu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the list and just thought I'd introduce myself, as will probably be
> posting to the list a bit.  I'm a system administrator for a Beowulf cluster at
> UW-Milwaukee.  It's a 22 node 2.4GHz Intel cluster running Linux that is
> dedicated to studying clouds (using wrf and COAMPS (MPI based software)).  It's
> a student job, and a lot of fun.  I'm a Computer Science major, and have all
> the Computer Science course done (just have a few math classes left).
>
> I'm starting to think about Grad school and Master Thesis stuff, though that is
> a little way off.  Along this vein, if anyone has any suggestions as to hot
> research topics a CS major with access to a few spare clock cycles Beowulf
> cluster might be interested in, please feel free to send them to me. ;)
>
> I've only been admin-ing the cluster for about a year, so I don't know how much
> I'll be able to help people with questions...  But I may throw an idea out once
> in a while.  I suppose here I may be asking more than answering the questions,
> as it seems a lot of you have quite a bit of experience with larger clusters.
>
> - Jeremy
|  Brian R Smith                      |
|  Systems Administrator              |
|  Research Computing Core Facility   |