[Beowulf] Mare Nostrum (not quite COTS)

Ashley Pittman ashley at quadrics.com
Mon Feb 21 03:22:18 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 07:53 -0500, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> >>When the power of MareNostrum is unleashed later this year, it will be at the
> >>

> >hmm, to me, the bigger the computer, the more money is evaporating
> >for every day between delivery and full user utilization.
> >

> This is a very interesting comment and one I agree with.
> Does anyone care to post numbers of some sort regarding
> the size of the cluster (and the size of the storage
> system) and the time to get the system up and stabilized?

In my experience it's not a lot to do with size, the first one of a
given size is always a new experience but the second and third ones
onwards are fairly safe.

Far more relevant is the exact hardware used and experience, expect as
many problems making a 64 way machine with a new
motherboard/file-system/integrator as you would ramping this same system
up to 1024 way.

Ashley,