[Beowulf] powering up 18 motherboards

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Feb 20 00:53:21 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 09:23 -0500, Mark Hahn wrote
> I really, really like lan-IPMI.  not only do you get a nice way
> to turn on/off/reset machines remotely, but you also can query
> their internal sensors.  not to mention that it's an open standard.
> my main experience with it is a cluster of HP DL145's, which are
> rebadged Celestica white-ish-box dual-opterons.  I've heard that
> lan-IPMI is also available for real whitebox (tyan, supermicro),
> but have never managed to get hands on.

Tyan need an extra card, which isn't included by default, if I'm not
wrong.

We have MSI systems which have IPMI.

Also don't forget locatelight capability.
It is SO useful if you have 500 nodes, and have to ask someone to swap a
component on a problem node, for instance.