[Beowulf] MPI ABI (Was Re: Re: Home beowulf - NIC latencies )

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 18 10:29:10 PST 2005

At 08:38 AM 2/18/2005, James Cownie wrote:

>If an ABI for MPI is so important to you and of such value to your (and
>Patrick's) clients, then there's nothing to stop you from formulating
>such a standard, or, at least starting a project to create one.

I wrote a paper that appeared in the EuroPVMMPI'02 meeting that discusses
the issues of a common ABI.  The paper is "Building Library Components That
Can Use Any MPI Implementation" and is available as
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gropp/bib/papers/2002/gmpishort.pdf .  This
paper was relatively pragmatic and discussed an approach that allowed the
user to link the same object files against two MPI libraries (MPICH and
LAM/MPI were used in the example).  There are a few remaining tricky issues
for handling the MPI opaque objects (specifically, how big are they) and
the size and layout of MPI_Status (different implementations use different
sizes, and the user is allowed to use an array of MPI_Status).  There are
also some very minor tradeoffs in performance in the solution presented in
the paper, but these probably aren't important in the context of clusters,
and are likely to be smaller than requiring implementations to translate
between internal and external representations.

The web site mentioned in the paper is out-of-date, mostly because there
wasn't much interest in a (nearly) common ABI at the time.  I can make it
available if there is interest now.

Bill

William Gropp
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~gropp