[Beowulf] Academic sites: who pays for the electricity?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 18 08:36:44 PST 2005

At 17:01 17-2-2005 -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
>At 04:19 PM 2/17/2005, Jim Lux wrote:

>Just where do you live that such negotiations are possible. Here's some

You aren't going to negotiate about a single small room with a few
lightbulbs obviously.

We're talking about huge usage, like if all supercomputers are located at 1
central spot and the entire institute with thousands of working places gets
powered in a central way, and usually electricity offering companies aren't
going to put online their rates for reduced usage, as that would give them
a bad negotation starting point :)

Nuclear power gets more and more exported from France to rest of Europe.

For example Italy is importing 25% of its total power, majority is from
France. Netherland and Germany import roughly 20% of their power.

That will get more and more, simply because building electricity producing
central plants can only get build for a specific amount of time (like 25
year contract) and then must get cleaned up. Obviously such rules make
building your own producing central plants impossible for the electricity
producing companies.

I'm not taking a political viewpoint on what type of electricity is
damaging more than the other and what should happen in the future in that
respect.

Yet closing eyes for reality is something else. More and more power gets
used. Computers take a part of that power, industry majority.

In USA last so many years no new nuclear plants have been built. Obviously
that means that the market there is different from Europe, where the energy
market seems to be more innovative than USA.

Even though for certain plans i have little respect for. Like the 150 meter
high windmills they want to build in Houten, just a few hundreds of meters
away from newly build houses, where tens of thousands live, that is IMHO a
wrong idea.

Don't have the details here how big the diameter and speed of airtransport
is of those mills, but obviously they can only get build because the
government wastes money on them and at most kill huge number of birds who
have near zero chance to survive if they are near those mills.

Yet it's another innovation in Europe.

The energy market is one of the most complex financial markets and not only
because politicians prefer to close their eyes for its problems. Another
major problem is who owns what in europe. Is the government again going to
own the transport infrastructure or can independant transport companies
keep doing the job? There is difference between energy producers and energy
consumer delivering companies and so on.

Yet a washing machine eats thousands of watts and nearly everybody has one
at home in Europe. Certain products we daily use and just throw away get
produced by throwing tens of thousands of watts into battle in heavy
industry. So complaining about energy usage of computers is a good thing,
but shouldn't get overreacted.